Lord Shaughnessy’ Summerland Syndicate bought the Barclay Ranch in 1902 and Summerland was founded.
Each year, on an annual basis, Shaughnessy and other CPR executives inspected Summerland’s progress until 1910.
The Summerland Development Company created our road, water and electrical systems and assisted with Summerland’s own telephone system.
Almost all of the shares of this company were owned by Shaughnessy: he had complete control of the company. He sold these utilities to the District of Summerland in 1910.
In this 1904 inspection tour photograph, the two gentlemen in the centre foreground are R.B. Angus and Sir Thomas Shaughnessy.
The Angus orchard home is located on Dodwell Avenue.
The Shaughnessy orchard home was demolished in May 7, 1994 to make room for the Silver Birch Condominiums.