Dan Albas

Dan Albas

COLUMN: Ongoing changes to federal assistance

Initial announcements have been modified during COVID-19 pandemic

In many ways the ongoing responses coming out of Ottawa resembles the movie Groundhog Day.

In this case, the government makes a major program announcement only to be followed one week later by another announcement that is often significantly different from what was announced the week previously.

For example, in my March 18 report I referenced the newly announced the Emergency Care Benefit program and the Emergency Support Benefit Programs and shared details of these initiatives.

By my March 25 report, both of these support programs had essentially been cancelled with the creation of new Canadian Emergency Response Benefit Program.

There has been a similar pattern for small and mid-sized business where at first a 10 per cent wage subsidy was announced and was said to sufficient.

Two weeks later a new wage subsidy program was announced that provided benefits of 75 per cent of wages, provided losses could be established from this time of year one year ago.

READ ALSO: COLUMN: Responding with the Canadian Emergency Wage Subsidy

READ ALSO: COLUMN: Financial help during the COVID-19 pandemic

Last week, this was again changed to reflect losses occurring since Jan. 1 of this year.

Currently the biggest challenge of the wage subsidy program is that benefits expect to be a minimum of six weeks away.

Many businesses have stated is too long for them to survive.

This week, the government announced new eligibility criteria for the CERB benefit program.

A summary of the key changes in eligibility are as follows:

Those who earn wages but earn less $1,000 a month will become eligible to apply for CERB.

Those expecting a seasonal job that no longer exists will be able apply for CERB.

Those who have run out of EI after Jan. 1, 2020 will be eligible to receive further support.

Unfortunately, when I and other members asked for when these changes will take effect, the minister responsible said the timeline for changes is unclear.

Some changes may come faster as they only require a regulatory change.

Others may require a legislative change and require Parliament’s approval which can take longer.

Virtually every one of the changes and re-announcements that have occurred over the past month has been made because Ottawa has, at first, vastly underestimated the significance of need that exists in our communities.

In short these programs as announced, failed to do what was required.

Too many Canadians in need were falling through the cracks.

As the Opposition, all parties have raised these serious concerns and in my view the government has been listening to these concerns.

There are still cracks remaining and citizens in need that require assistance that they currently still do not qualify for.

However, with the government and opposition working together on a “Team Canada” approach I believe, with the CERB eligibility expansion announced this week, this list is getting smaller and we will continue to ensure this progress continues.

My question to you: Are you satisfied with the work the government and opposition are doing in Ottawa on your behalf?

Dan Albas is the Member of Parliament for the riding of Central Okanagan Similkameen Nicola. This riding includes the communities of Kelowna, West Kelowna, Peachland, Summerland, Keremeos, Princeton, Merritt and Logan Lake.

To report a typo, email:
news@summerlandreview.com
.



news@summerlandreview.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

ColumnistCoronavirus

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Sickle Point as seen from the air. (Kaleden Community Association - David Mai)
Efforts to save Sickle Point down to the wire

The riparian wetland is in the middle of a court-ordered sale

Paul Biro of Summerland has organized a special drive-by holiday lights event to take place on the evening of Friday, Nov. 27. (Contributed)
Extra COVID-19 safety protocols added to Summerland drive-by lights tour

Map is available by download; living nativity and Santa display eliminated

Summerland’s recreational facilities, including the arena and the aquatic centre, are open at present, but regulations are in place to slow the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. (Summerland Review file photo>
COVID-19 safety protocols in place at Summerland’s municipal buildings

Doors remain open, but masks, physical distancing and other measures have been put in place

COVID-19. (Image courtesy CDC)
Interior Health reports 65 new cases of COVID-19

Province-wide, there are 887 new cases of the virus

In mid-July, the home of an Indo-Canadian family in Summerland was vandalized, with images including swastikas spray-painted on the house. Since that time, Summerland Mayor Toni Boot has been calling for community conversations about issues relating to race. (Summerland Review file photo)
Provincial funds available for Summerland conversations about racism

Money will not flow directly from province to municipality

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry update the COVID-19 situation at the B.C. legislature, Nov. 23, 2020. (B.C. government)
B.C. sets another COVID-19 record with 887 new cases

Another 13 deaths, ties the highest three days ago

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good
Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Arthur Topham has been sentenced to one month of house arrest and three years of probation after breaching the terms of his probation. Topham was convicted of promoting hate against Jewish people in 2015. (Photo submitted)
Quesnel man convicted for anti-Semitic website sentenced to house arrest for probation breach

Arthur Topham was convicted of breaching probation following his 2017 sentence for promoting hatred

Langley School District's board office. (Langley Advance Times files)
‘Sick Out’ aims to pressure B.C. schools over masks, class sizes

Parents from Langley and Surrey are worried about COVID safety in classrooms

The baby boy born to Gillian and Dave McIntosh of Abbotsford was released from hospital on Wednesday (Nov. 25) while Gillian continues to fight for her life after being diagnosed with COVID-19.
B.C. mom with COVID-19 still fighting for life while newborn baby now at home

Son was delivered Nov. 10 while Gillian McIntosh was in an induced coma

The Rutland IGA is located in Willow Park Shopping Centre at 590 BC-33. (Michael Rodriguez - Kelowna Capital News)
Customer asked to mask up, throws hot coffee at Kelowna IGA employee

The woman grabbed cat food on her way out when she refused to wear a mask

City of Armstrong Public Works Yard. (Google Maps)
Armstrong city staffer threatened in snow removal complaint

Community services manager says ‘veiled threat’ is believed to have been flippant, but is being taken seriously

B.C. Premier John Horgan, a Star Trek fan, can’t resist a Vulcan salute as he takes the oath of office for a second term in Victoria, Nov. 26, 2020. (B.C. government)
Horgan names 20-member cabinet with same pandemic team

New faces in education, finance, economic recovery

The Okanagan Quality Life Society which usually gives tours of Okanagan Lake to seniors and shut-ins on its boat Heaven Can Wait has created a virtual tour video in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic which shut down the tours in 2020. (Morning Star - file photo)
Okanagan Lake virtual boat tours launched

Okanagan Quality Life Society normally gives tours on Okanagan Lake on its boat Heaven Can Wait

Most Read