The chosen heritage site for 2018 is the Anglican Cemetery, at 10005 Giant’s Head Rd.
This cemetery is also known as the Church of England Cemetery and St. Peter’s Church Cemetery.
In 1898, construction began on St. Peter’s Anglican Church. It was located strategically on Giant’s Head Road, half way between the Gartrell and the Barclay Ranches.
The church was built and financed by the workers of the two ranches including the Middlesex England pioneers, Will Fosbery, Richard Turner, Bob Faulder and Harry Dunsdon.
The church’s cemetery, known at that time as The Church of England Cemetery, was located adjacent to the church and opened in 1908.
The first burial was of Arthur James Preston.
This cemetery contains the remains of most of these pioneer ranch owners and workers.
In 1910 a new, larger Anglican church, St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, was built in Summerland’s downtown.
From 1910 until 1917 the old St. Peter’s church was used as a community and youth centre. On May 17, 1917, while burning weeds near the church, the wind shifted and the church was destroyed by fire.
Summerland has three cemeteries; Peach Orchard, Anglican and Canyon View cemeteries.
Only the Canyon View Cemetery is regularly maintained by the District of Summerland. The maintenance of the plots of other two cemeteries, are primarily responsibility of the families.
The surrounding landscape is looked after by the municipality.