Summerland residents Antoine Pierre and his family are shown here, on a fish trip to the Kickaninees, in 1905.
From left are Rose Pierre, Sarah Pierre Turner, Annie Pierre (nee McLean), Charles Pierre, Antoine Pierre and his wife, Julie Pierre (holding their grandson) and Susan Pierre.
Summerland had its origins in 1886 when Johnny Pierre settled in what is now the downtown area of the community. He recorded his land as an Indian reserve and used water from Aeneas Creek to irrigate crops of hay and potatoes.
There were two cabins on this land, belonging to Johnny Pierre and Antoine Pierre.
This area was Penticton Indian Reserve #3.
In 1904, the land was exchanged for land adjacent to Penticton Indian Reserve #1. The Penticton Indian Reserve #3 became West Summerland, or what is today known as the downtown core of Summerland.
The Pierre family continued with their cattle ranching and Ritchie developed West Summerland. For several years both Johnny and Antoine Pierre helped James and his brother William Ritchie with their orchards.
To report a typo, email: