The area near Giant’s Head Mountain in Summerland now contains houses, townhomes and the Summerland Seniors Village, but the area looked quite different in the early 20th century.
The photograph, taken from Giant’s Head Mountain looking east in 1910, shows the Okanagan College gym. The college operated from 1906 to 1915. Okanagan College and Vancouver’s College (McGill) were the first post-secondary institutes in the province. Both opened in 1906.
The large house to the right was Mary Campbell’s home and the road was named Campbell’s corner.
The home was demolished when the Summerland Seniors Village was built along present day Atkinson Road.
The V-shaped road was once named Solly Road, but today this portion of the road is now Prairie Valley Road. The centre of the photograph was Alex McKay’s orchard.
To report a typo, email: