During the 1909 to 1910 school year, students at the Garnet Valley School in Summerland posed outside with their teacher, Miss Ballantyne, at left, as well as her assistant, Miss Sherk.
During the first decades of the 20th century, Summerland and the surrounding area had a number of small schools.
One of the first schools in Summerland was built on Hospital Hill for $1,280. It became too small so a two room school was built in West Summerland in 1909. One room schooled junior students of West Summerland while the other one was for the rest of the district.
Mineola, known today as Meadow Valley, had a small school. This was a lumber town 16 kilometres from Summerland. There were only 12 students in the area. Eventually the area received some government funding in the amount of $150 which was put towards constructing a school. It was build by volunteers.
Teachers at the school included: Ada Murray, Ms. Roadhouse, Ms. Caldwell, Ms. McLachlan, Mrs. Spears and Mrs. Lee.
The school eventually shut down around 1923 when the mill closed.
Prairie Valley had a school which operated from 1906 to 1911. The teacher at the school was Alva Elliot.
Garnet Valley’s school opened in 1907. It then closed temporarily in 1911, reopened in 1913 and closed permanently in 1919. Miss Ballentine was the first teacher at the school and Ruth Dale was the last.
Trout Creek’s first school was opened in 1906. It closed in 1911 and then in 1916 there were enough children in Trout Creek to warrant having another school.
When the home of the Brown family was vacated, it became a school building in Trout Creek. Then in 1917 a new school facility was opened on Johnson Street.
After it closed in 1922, the area did not have a school for many years.
Today, there is an elementary school in Trout Creek.
To report a typo, email: