history

In 2019, the Summerland Museum restored an old gas pump, which is now on display in the museum. While the gas pump will remain in the museum, certain deaccessioned artifacts will be sold in an auction. (Summerland Review file photo)

Summerland Museum to auction items

Items to be sold are damaged, duplicates or not needed for museum’s mandate

In 2019, the Summerland Museum restored an old gas pump, which is now on display in the museum. While the gas pump will remain in the museum, certain deaccessioned artifacts will be sold in an auction. (Summerland Review file photo)
In 1908, Summerland’s first curling rink was located on the community’s drinking water reservoir. The man with the bowler hat was Frank Osler. The Osler family is one of Canada’s most famous families. One of Frank Osler’s brothers was Sir William Osler, one of the world’s most esteemed medical doctors. Another brother, and Summerland land owner, was Sir Edmund Osler, national president of the Dominion Bank (later TD bank). Another brother was Britton Osler, a famous lawyer (Louis Riel trial). Another brother was Judge Fetherston Osler. (Photograph courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Curling in Summerland was once held outdoors

Drinking water reservoir was once used for curling

In 1908, Summerland’s first curling rink was located on the community’s drinking water reservoir. The man with the bowler hat was Frank Osler. The Osler family is one of Canada’s most famous families. One of Frank Osler’s brothers was Sir William Osler, one of the world’s most esteemed medical doctors. Another brother, and Summerland land owner, was Sir Edmund Osler, national president of the Dominion Bank (later TD bank). Another brother was Britton Osler, a famous lawyer (Louis Riel trial). Another brother was Judge Fetherston Osler. (Photograph courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
MV Sea Lion, which was built in 1905 and was B.C.'s oldest wooden tugboat, is being scrapped at a shipyard in Nanaimo. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)

B.C.’s oldest wooden tugboat being scrapped at shipyard in Nanaimo

MV Sea Lion, built in 1905, had a part in 1914 SS Komagata Maru incident

MV Sea Lion, which was built in 1905 and was B.C.'s oldest wooden tugboat, is being scrapped at a shipyard in Nanaimo. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
Chains on the tires are required when one takes the shortcut to Naramata on frozen Okanagan Lake. In the early 20th century, the lake would sometimes freeze over in the winter. However, it has been many decades since the lake last froze over. At times there has been ice near the shore, allowing for some skating on the frozen surface. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Boats and cars have been seen on Okanagan Lake

Lake used to freeze over during the winter

Chains on the tires are required when one takes the shortcut to Naramata on frozen Okanagan Lake. In the early 20th century, the lake would sometimes freeze over in the winter. However, it has been many decades since the lake last froze over. At times there has been ice near the shore, allowing for some skating on the frozen surface. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Spectators watching Summerland’s ski jumping competition at the community’s ski hill in Meadow Valley in 1956. 
(Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland had ski hill in 1940s and 1950s

Community’s ski hill was in Meadow Valley area

Spectators watching Summerland’s ski jumping competition at the community’s ski hill in Meadow Valley in 1956. 
(Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Summerland’s Rotary Club was founded in 1946. From 1951 to 1956, the Rotary Club offered free swimming lessons at Powell Beach. In 1956, a portion of the shoreline of Summerland’s Lowertown was cleared. In 1957, the new Rotary Beach was officially opened. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Swimming lessons once offered at Summerland beaches

Beginning in 1950s, lessons were offered at Powell Beach and later at Rotary Beach

Summerland’s Rotary Club was founded in 1946. From 1951 to 1956, the Rotary Club offered free swimming lessons at Powell Beach. In 1956, a portion of the shoreline of Summerland’s Lowertown was cleared. In 1957, the new Rotary Beach was officially opened. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Operation of the howitzers at Roger Pass when the program was started in 1961. (Revelstoke Museum and Archives)

60 years of avalanche control in Rogers Pass

The avalanche control system, run by Parks Canada alongside the Canadian Military, started in 1961

Operation of the howitzers at Roger Pass when the program was started in 1961. (Revelstoke Museum and Archives)
Susan Lopatecki, owner of SASS Boutique, shows her corporate membership certificate and poster highlighting a dress from the Museum Collection, sewn by Dorothy Fisher. (Contributed)

Summerland businesses purchase corporate memberships in museum drive

Museum society offering 50 per cent discount on corporate memberships until end of year

Susan Lopatecki, owner of SASS Boutique, shows her corporate membership certificate and poster highlighting a dress from the Museum Collection, sewn by Dorothy Fisher. (Contributed)
The clock tower at the corner of Main Street and Victoria Road in Summerland was installed in the 1980s. The iconic landmark was set up when Summerland had a Tudor theme in place in its downtown. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Historic Summerland clock tower was part of community theme

Summerland once had a Tudor theme in place in its downtown

The clock tower at the corner of Main Street and Victoria Road in Summerland was installed in the 1980s. The iconic landmark was set up when Summerland had a Tudor theme in place in its downtown. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Emma Scholefield, left, and Thea Scholefield show a banner of their great, great uncle, Charles Edward Russel Hall. He is one of Summerland’s fallen soldiers from the First World War. (Contributed)

Banners recognize Summerland’s fallen soldiers

Two names of fallen soldiers from First World War added to community’s banners

  • Nov 2, 2021
Emma Scholefield, left, and Thea Scholefield show a banner of their great, great uncle, Charles Edward Russel Hall. He is one of Summerland’s fallen soldiers from the First World War. (Contributed)
An alien invasion did not occur in New Jersey in October, 1938. (Pixabay.com)

COLUMN: The night the Martians didn’t invade earth

Chaos and panic resulted from a radio drama

An alien invasion did not occur in New Jersey in October, 1938. (Pixabay.com)
The Major Hutton home on Reynolds Avenue is one of Summerland’s heritage homes. However, unlike other old homes in the community, this one is believed to have a ghost. (Contributed)

Ghost sightings abound at Summerland heritage home

Sightings reported of elderly man and white dog at Major Hutton home

  • Oct 27, 2021
The Major Hutton home on Reynolds Avenue is one of Summerland’s heritage homes. However, unlike other old homes in the community, this one is believed to have a ghost. (Contributed)
According to the earliest maps of the Okanagan Valley, the Summerland area was called Nicola Prairie. This name meant the land of Nicola; Grand Chief Nicola. In 1845, Chief Nicola was protected by eighty bodyguards. In 1902, when Summerland was founded, only three Indigenous families remained: the Johnny Pierre, Antoine Pierre and William Manuel families. The children of these three families attended Summerland’s first official school in 1904. This photograph shows William Manuel’s home in the lower left corner. The road, left of the home would become Rosedale Avenue. The home was surrounded by Alf Richardson’s lumber yard. Today, the Manuel house would be located close to the Summerland Animal Clinic. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland was once known as Nicola Prairie

Downtown Summerland was once Penticton Indian Reserve #3

According to the earliest maps of the Okanagan Valley, the Summerland area was called Nicola Prairie. This name meant the land of Nicola; Grand Chief Nicola. In 1845, Chief Nicola was protected by eighty bodyguards. In 1902, when Summerland was founded, only three Indigenous families remained: the Johnny Pierre, Antoine Pierre and William Manuel families. The children of these three families attended Summerland’s first official school in 1904. This photograph shows William Manuel’s home in the lower left corner. The road, left of the home would become Rosedale Avenue. The home was surrounded by Alf Richardson’s lumber yard. Today, the Manuel house would be located close to the Summerland Animal Clinic. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Take a tour of the ghost town of Fairview in Oliver where strange occurences, grisly deaths and distaster took place over 120 years ago. (Submitted)

Are you brave enough to tour Oliver’s ghost town at night?

Fairview’s history full of grisly deaths and strange occurrences, says Oliver museum curator

Take a tour of the ghost town of Fairview in Oliver where strange occurences, grisly deaths and distaster took place over 120 years ago. (Submitted)
When the Summerland Development Company sold land in 1906, the company created a map to show the route to Summerland. The company president was Sir Thomas Shaughnessy, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

1906 map created to show how to get to Summerland

Many early settlers came to Okanagan from the Prairies

When the Summerland Development Company sold land in 1906, the company created a map to show the route to Summerland. The company president was Sir Thomas Shaughnessy, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
The former Okanagan College gym and the Mary Campbell home could both be seen from Giant’s Head Mountain in 1910. The Campbell home was demolished in the early 2000s when the Summerland Seniors Village was constructed. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Orchards, college once stood near Summerland Seniors Village

Area in Summerland has gone through considerable changes since early 1900s

The former Okanagan College gym and the Mary Campbell home could both be seen from Giant’s Head Mountain in 1910. The Campbell home was demolished in the early 2000s when the Summerland Seniors Village was constructed. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Camas flowers in full bloom. (Devon Bidal/News Staff)

Vancouver Island camas meadows reveal agricultural impact of B.C. colonialism

Lekwungen food expert Cheryl Bryce looks to raise awareness of traditional food systems

  • Sep 30, 2021
Camas flowers in full bloom. (Devon Bidal/News Staff)
Summerland became the first school district in B.C. to have a central school system. The three-member board hired Summerland’s first teacher, Minnie Smith (1854-1932) for the 1904-1905 school year. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland formed school board in 1903

Summerland became the first school district in B.C. to have a central school system

Summerland became the first school district in B.C. to have a central school system. The three-member board hired Summerland’s first teacher, Minnie Smith (1854-1932) for the 1904-1905 school year. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Summerland’s downtown core has gone through numerous changes over the years. These changes are detailed in an article in the latest report of the Okanagan Historical Society. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Summerland’s downtown core has gone through numerous changes over the years. These changes are detailed in an article in the latest report of the Okanagan Historical Society. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Summerland has gone through a lot of changes over the years. This photograph shows the intersection of West Summerland’s Main Street and Victoria Road. The Summerland Museum has photographs and artifacts from Summerland’s past. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland Museum holds membership drive

Second membership drive of the year will be held in September

Summerland has gone through a lot of changes over the years. This photograph shows the intersection of West Summerland’s Main Street and Victoria Road. The Summerland Museum has photographs and artifacts from Summerland’s past. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)