history

Rob Rondeau, PhD candidate at SFU, is embarking on a mission to find definitive evidence of human migration to the continent. (SFU supplied image)

VIDEO: Marine archaeologist looking for clues of ancient migration in B.C. waters

SFU researcher hoping to find 15,000 year-old archaeological sites underwater

Rob Rondeau, PhD candidate at SFU, is embarking on a mission to find definitive evidence of human migration to the continent. (SFU supplied image)
A building at the corner of Main Street and Victoria Road in Summerland has been a downtown landmark since 1907. The building, originally the Summerland Supply Co. building, has had many uses over the years. (Summerland Museum photo)

Historic 1907 building still a Summerland landmark

Intersection of Main Street and Victoria Road has seen numerous business changes over the years

A building at the corner of Main Street and Victoria Road in Summerland has been a downtown landmark since 1907. The building, originally the Summerland Supply Co. building, has had many uses over the years. (Summerland Museum photo)
One of the winners of the City of Salmon Arm’s heritage conservation awards were Parmjit and Kulwinder Chahal who oversaw major restorations of the Downtown Activity Centre. (City of Salmon Arm/Facebook)

City of Salmon Arm recognizes heritage building owners

The owners of five old homes and buildings received awards for their restoration and preservation.

One of the winners of the City of Salmon Arm’s heritage conservation awards were Parmjit and Kulwinder Chahal who oversaw major restorations of the Downtown Activity Centre. (City of Salmon Arm/Facebook)
Summerland’s earliest settlers first used tent houses prior to their permanent homes being built. This photograph shows Walter Verity and his wife Elizabeth (nee Tait) with their tent home beside their gardens. Elizabeth’s brothers Magnus and John and sister Christine (Nixon) also lived here. Information on this and other elements of Summerland’s past are available through the Summerland Museum. (Summerland Museum photo)

Summerland Museum launches membership drive

Initiative will run throghout March

Summerland’s earliest settlers first used tent houses prior to their permanent homes being built. This photograph shows Walter Verity and his wife Elizabeth (nee Tait) with their tent home beside their gardens. Elizabeth’s brothers Magnus and John and sister Christine (Nixon) also lived here. Information on this and other elements of Summerland’s past are available through the Summerland Museum. (Summerland Museum photo)
Lord Shaughnessy’s Summerland Development Company hired F.H. Latimer to survey our new town. Latimer, in the centre of this photograph, is working at the base of Giant’s Head Mountain. In 1901, Latimer produced a comprehensive study of a new water system for Shaughnessy, prior to the founding of Summerland. Historic photos and files from the Summerland Museum are now available online. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland Museum provides historic resources online

More than 10,000 records will be available for public viewing

Lord Shaughnessy’s Summerland Development Company hired F.H. Latimer to survey our new town. Latimer, in the centre of this photograph, is working at the base of Giant’s Head Mountain. In 1901, Latimer produced a comprehensive study of a new water system for Shaughnessy, prior to the founding of Summerland. Historic photos and files from the Summerland Museum are now available online. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
The the J.R. Campbell home in Summerland has been selected as the community’s heritage building for 2021. (Contributed)

Summerland’s Campbell house recognized for heritage value

Former mayor was also named Summerland’s 1955 Citizen of the Year

  • Feb 17, 2021
The the J.R. Campbell home in Summerland has been selected as the community’s heritage building for 2021. (Contributed)
Summerland’s Main Street ( Granville Road) in 1925 had wooden sidewalks. The photograph shows the Drug Store, A.J. Beers Shoe Store and on the far right, the recently rebuilt Gartrell Block, now the IOOF Hall. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)

Summerland’s downtown once had wooden sidewalks

Present-day Main Street was once named Granville Road

Summerland’s Main Street ( Granville Road) in 1925 had wooden sidewalks. The photograph shows the Drug Store, A.J. Beers Shoe Store and on the far right, the recently rebuilt Gartrell Block, now the IOOF Hall. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)
Summerland’s second hospital was built in 1914. The land, known as Hospital Hill, was donated by the Summerland Development. At the time, the cost of the hospital was $5,996. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)

Summerland hospital served community during previous pandemic

Hospital, constructed n 1914, was in use during the 1918 Spanish flu

Summerland’s second hospital was built in 1914. The land, known as Hospital Hill, was donated by the Summerland Development. At the time, the cost of the hospital was $5,996. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)
Group of cowboys on horses out rounding up cattle, 1888. The Greater Vernon Museum and Archives is celebrating Vernon Winter Carnival’s Wild West theme with a virtual trip back in time looking at the ranching days. (GVMA #5021)

Museum rounds up North Okanagan’s wild west past

Vernon Winter Carnival event, Meanwhile…Back at the Ranch, Feb. 9

Group of cowboys on horses out rounding up cattle, 1888. The Greater Vernon Museum and Archives is celebrating Vernon Winter Carnival’s Wild West theme with a virtual trip back in time looking at the ranching days. (GVMA #5021)
A historic home near Granny’s Fruit Stand in Summerland was the home of two of the community’s mayors. J.R. Campbell and Don Cameron both lived at the home on Highway 97 in Summerland, but not at the same time. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Historic house was home to two Summerland mayors

Building along Highway 97 was constructed in 1906

A historic home near Granny’s Fruit Stand in Summerland was the home of two of the community’s mayors. J.R. Campbell and Don Cameron both lived at the home on Highway 97 in Summerland, but not at the same time. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
The Premier Hotel on Summerland’s Main Street and the taxi were owned by Bill and Lydia Johnston. Today, the building is Sass Fashions in Summerland. H.S. Kenyon, who moved the building to Summerland from Midway, continued with building construction. His family now operates Greyback Construction. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Two former Summerland hotel buildings have been moved over the years

Transport of buildings is part of community’s history

The Premier Hotel on Summerland’s Main Street and the taxi were owned by Bill and Lydia Johnston. Today, the building is Sass Fashions in Summerland. H.S. Kenyon, who moved the building to Summerland from Midway, continued with building construction. His family now operates Greyback Construction. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
The Hilborn home on Logie Road in Summerland was built by the Nelson brothers, who also built the buildings at the Summerland Research Station. (Contributed)

Early Summerland researcher pioneered greenhouse use

Joseph Hilborn and his brother William advoacated greenhouse work in the early 1900s

  • Jan 13, 2021
The Hilborn home on Logie Road in Summerland was built by the Nelson brothers, who also built the buildings at the Summerland Research Station. (Contributed)
One of the artillery shells remaining in the Stevenson family collection. The one that is missing has distinctive German script stamped on the base and is believed to have been fired from a massive naval or siege gun. (Contributed)

Family seeks historical artillery shell casing missing from late father’s Shuswap home

The shell was once fired out of an uncommonly large German artillery gun during the First World War

One of the artillery shells remaining in the Stevenson family collection. The one that is missing has distinctive German script stamped on the base and is believed to have been fired from a massive naval or siege gun. (Contributed)
The Vernon Towne Cinema is undergoing some seating upgrades during a pandemic related business hiatus, and residents are invited to pick up a free seat from the 1940s Monday, Dec. 7, 2020. (Brendan Shykora - Morning Star)

Upgrades to Vernon Towne Cinema prompt giveaway of chairs from the 1940s

The Towne is using pandemic down-time to upgrade seating, and locals can come claim a piece of Vernon history

The Vernon Towne Cinema is undergoing some seating upgrades during a pandemic related business hiatus, and residents are invited to pick up a free seat from the 1940s Monday, Dec. 7, 2020. (Brendan Shykora - Morning Star)
Dentice di Frasso, a member of Italian nobility, once owned land in Summerland. (Contributed)

Italian nobility family once lived in Summerland

Dentice di Frasso and his family owned land in the Prairie Valley area

  • Nov 28, 2020
Dentice di Frasso, a member of Italian nobility, once owned land in Summerland. (Contributed)
Originally the Summerland Reservoir was a glacial lake formed from surrounding groundwater. Former names have included Barclay Lake and Balcomo Lake. (Photograph courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)

Summerland’s reservoir was once a glacial lake

Water supply has had many names over the years.

Originally the Summerland Reservoir was a glacial lake formed from surrounding groundwater. Former names have included Barclay Lake and Balcomo Lake. (Photograph courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)
This is a photograph of the 1909 to 1910 Garnet Valley School students. The teacher was Miss Ballantyne on the left and her assistant Miss Sherk. In today’s classrooms, ventilation with fresh air will be a important part in containing COVID-19 infections. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)

A century ago, Summerland had small schools

Outlying communities each had their own schools in early 1900s

This is a photograph of the 1909 to 1910 Garnet Valley School students. The teacher was Miss Ballantyne on the left and her assistant Miss Sherk. In today’s classrooms, ventilation with fresh air will be a important part in containing COVID-19 infections. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)
In 1907, Summerland’s first council consisted of five people, all elected by acclamation. In the top row from left are reeve J.M. Robinson, R.H. Agur and J.R. Brown. In the bottom row are J. C. Ritchie at left and C.J. Thomson. 
(Photos courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland’s first council was elected by acclamation

Reeve and four councillors were elected in December, 1906

In 1907, Summerland’s first council consisted of five people, all elected by acclamation. In the top row from left are reeve J.M. Robinson, R.H. Agur and J.R. Brown. In the bottom row are J. C. Ritchie at left and C.J. Thomson. 
(Photos courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
To guarantee water supply in 1933, Summerland’s Dominion Research Station (now Summerland Research and Development Centre) installed its own Okanagan Lake pumping station. Today, all communities on Okanagan Lake use lake water to supplement their water systems, except the District of Summerland. (Photo courtesy Summerland Museum)

Dominion Research Station once drew water from Okanagan Lake

In 1930s, facility in Summerland used lake water to have a guaranteed supply

To guarantee water supply in 1933, Summerland’s Dominion Research Station (now Summerland Research and Development Centre) installed its own Okanagan Lake pumping station. Today, all communities on Okanagan Lake use lake water to supplement their water systems, except the District of Summerland. (Photo courtesy Summerland Museum)
The early years of Rosedale Avenue dating back to 1911. Rosedale Avenue in Summerland has gone through many changes since this picture was taken in the early 1900s. In the background is St. Stephen Anglican Church. To the left, is the newly built home of Judge Kelley. This home still exists. It is the central portion of the Providence Funeral Home. Judge Kelley named the street Rosedale Avenue. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Rosedale Avenue in Summerland dates to 1910

Some early buildings in the area still remain

  • Oct 20, 2020
The early years of Rosedale Avenue dating back to 1911. Rosedale Avenue in Summerland has gone through many changes since this picture was taken in the early 1900s. In the background is St. Stephen Anglican Church. To the left, is the newly built home of Judge Kelley. This home still exists. It is the central portion of the Providence Funeral Home. Judge Kelley named the street Rosedale Avenue. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)