I am writing to express strong opposition to the proposed rezoning at 8709 Jubilee Road.
While the local community may be unable to prevent development, the project in itself will be detrimental to the area. Nearly all residents in the neighborhoods are completely opposed to the addition of multi-family housing that will cause traffic and safety problems, possibly create even more problems with schools and potentially lower the property values of the existing community.Traffic and safety of pedestrians are major areas of concern.
We urge council, prior to reaching a conclusion, complete a detailed assessment of the area. Not only will the residents in the area will be adversely affected but the businesses located on Jubilee Road will be adversely affected as numerous businesses on Jubilee Road currently have open access to their parking facilities and with a major increase in pedestrian use with a complex of the size and nature of the proposed building would require a complete change to avoid potential injuries. In addition to the businesses, the Summerland Arena would require major changes to the parking and vehicle entrances and exits.
For the safety of the children going to and from school and residents going into town, council should take a serious look at the future ramifications.
On a second point, we strongly urge council to consider the views of 14 residents whose properties back directly onto the development site. There is no question their property values will likely go down in the area substantially should the major rezoning be approved. A five-storey building is most definitely inconsistent within the neighborhood.
The information meeting held via Zoom was not adequately handled appropriately. In view of the current COVID-19 situation the meeting was required to be held virtually, and while notices were sent out we must point out that numerous residents in the area are seniors and are not computer literate, which made it virtually impossible for them to participate. In addition some participants were not heard as questions that were submitted were not answered.
Council has not yet completed what would be considered due diligence prior to reaching a sound conclusion. Pushing something of this magnitude through without further consideration would prove to be a major mistake.
Council should not proceed with any approval at this time and either postpone decision or not approve their decision on this application until such time as what should be considered required due diligence be completed. I urge you to disapprove the proposed rezoning, or at the very least postpone your decision for 60 to 90 days.
Should council elect to postpone, a public hearing should be scheduled in a suitable location where a suitable public hearing be carried out with social distancing in effect.
I know my opinions are shared by many who have not managed to attend meeting or write letters and emails.
We are in agreement with low cost housing initiatives, however there is no question this is not a suitable location.
J.R. (Bob) Todhunter
To report a typo, email: