Summerland council to apply for grant funding

Summerland council to apply for grant funding

Money for two projects sought under funding initiatives

Summerland council will apply for grant funding under two initiatives.

At the Nov. 26 municipal council meeting, council approved the two grant applications.

Council will apply for an electrical utility voltage conversion application under the Rural and Northern Infrastructure Fund.

This funding is expected to increase the electrical utility’s system efficiency by a factor of nine times. If the funding is approved, the work would be done at the same time as the municipality is replacing aging infrastructure.

Council will also apply for funding to upgrade the arts and cultural centre, the museum building and the adjacent grounds.

This application is under the Community, Culture and Recreation Fund.

The arts and cultural centre building is undergoing improvements, and upgrade work has also been identified as a need for the museum building.

A report to council states that the grounds around these two buildings could be developed to be used as a cultural hub of activity.

The Rural and Northern Infrastructure Fund has up to $95 million available, with no limit on the maximum allowable funding per project.

The selected projects will received 90 per cent funding from the grant, with the municipality funding the remaining 10 per cent.

The Community Culture and Recreation Fund has up to $134.8 million available, with no limit on the maximum allowable funding.

Under this program, the grant would provide 73.33 per cent of the money, with the municipality providing the remaining 26.67 per cent.

The municipality does not have approximate overall costs for either of the two projects.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Interior Health nurses administer Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines to seniors and care aids in Kelowna on Tuesday, March 16. (Phil McLachlan/Kelowna Capital News)
69 new cases of COVID-19 in Interior Health

The total number of cases in the region is now at 9,840 since the pandemic began

Kelowna General Hospital (File photo)
Interior Health hospitals not strained by rising COVID case counts

While provincial hospitalizations rise, health care systems in the B.C. Interior remain robust, say officials

The Urgent and Primary Care Centre on Martin Street has officially opened today, March 31, 2021. (Brennan Phillips - File)
Funding denied for Penticton primary care facility

Urgent and Primary Care Centre designated a hospital, but request for $1M in funding denied

On National Takeout Day, April 15, 2021 Penticton announced a new “Picnic Penticton” program beginning in May that will see 36 additional picnic tables added to local parks in an effort to support local restaurants.(Pexels.com/Maksim Goncharenok)
Penticton wants picnics to be all the rage this spring and summer

Who could say no to pizza and beer in the park?

A woman wears a protective face covering to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 as he walks past the emergency entrance of Vancouver General Hospital in Vancouver, B.C., Friday, April 9, 2021. COVID-19 cases have been on a steady increase in the province of British Columbia over the past week. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Top doctor warns B.C.’s daily cases could reach 3,000 as COVID hospitalizations surge

There are more than 400 people in hospital, with 125 of them in ICU

Vernon Fire Rescue Services responded to a truck fire on Dallas Road in Vernon April 15, 2021. (Brendan Shykora - Vernon Morning Star)
WATCH: Vernon firefighters quick to douse fully involved truck fire

The fire was near multiple structures and spreading along the ground upon crews’ arrival

The father of Aaliyah Rosa planted a tree and laid a plaque in her memory in 2018. (Langley Advance Times files)
Final witness will extend Langley child murder trial into May or June

Lengthy trial began last autumn with COVID and other factors forcing it to take longer than expected

The corner of 96th Avenue and Glover Road in Fort Langley now has traffic signals, and new “touchless” signal activation buttons. (Matthew Claxton/Langley Advance Times)
Busy Fort Langley intersection gets ‘touchless’ crosswalk signals

The new traffic light started operation in April

Fire crews tend to a collision that is causing severe traffic delays on the William R. Bennett bridge headed east into Kelowna. (Aaron Hemens - Kelowna Capital News)
7 vehicle collision on WR Bennett Bridge under investigation

The collision backed up traffic on the William R. Bennett bridge for much of the morning

Kelowna company celebrates milestone of producing 46 million masks in under a year.
46 million masks and counting: Kelowna company reaches 1 year milstone

In under a year, Breathe Manufacturing Ltd. in Kelowna has hit production of 46 million masks for front-line workers

The organizer of a Kelowna protest against COVID-19 restrictions was fined by the RCMP for the third time Saturday, Jan. 16, 2021. (File photo)
Kelowna RCMP investigating hit and run involving 11-year-old

Police said the boy suffered minor injuries

A crossing guard stops traffic as students wearing face masks to curb the spread of COVID-19 arrive at Ecole Woodward Hill Elementary School, in Surrey, B.C., on Tuesday, February 23, 2021. A number of schools in the Fraser Health region, including Woodward Hill, have reported cases of the B.1.7.7 COVID-19 variant first detected in the U.K. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
COVID-infected students in Lower Mainland schools transmitting to 1 to 2 others: data

Eight to 13 per cent of COVID cases among students in the Lower Mainland were acquired in schools, B.C. says

Most Read