Afshin Maleki Ighani’s trial for 10 charges, including kidnapping, has been adjourned until Nov. 25. (file photo)

Okanagan inmate charged in Princeton kidnapping gets second trial extension

Afshin Maleki Ighani said he was unprepared for trial due to issues around a full disclosure package

The trial for a Penticton man charged with a string of alleged violent crimes, including a kidnapping, has been delayed until Nov. 25.

Afshin Maleki Ighani appeared in Penticton Supreme Court on Monday asking for what is to be the second adjournment for a full trial for 10 charges related to an armed kidnapping in Princeton on April 17, 2017.

READ MORE: Okanagan inmate who allegedly assaulted prisoners and officer gets trial extension

Ighani, who is defending himself, said he was not prepared for the proceedings because he had not received the full disclosure package needed for his defence from Crown counsel until Oct. 6 or 7. He added he believed the package was missing a document with a statement from the RCMP officer flying the helicopter the day of his arrest.

READ MORE: Man accused of yet another violent incident at Okanagan jail

Supreme Court Justice Nitya Iyer granted the adjournment but not without questioning Ighani for his reasons for the delay and criticizing his failure to be prepared during the trial, even once saying she was uncertain as to whether he was being completely honest with the court.

Ighani told the court he wasn’t trying to delay the proceedings, adding he was innocent of the charges and didn’t want to spend any more time in jail.

Crown counsel John Swanson insisted the trial go forward because the Oct. 21 date for continuance had been scheduled since July 22, 2019.

READ MORE: Ighani trial on hold until 2019

The trial began on Dec. 3, 2018, but was adjourned for the first time after Ighani fired his lawyer.

To report a typo, email: editor@pentictonwesternnews.com.

Just Posted

40th Annual Share-a-Smile Telethon this weekend

The OSNS’s annual fundraiser returns to Cherry Lane Nov. 17 from noon until 5 p.m.

Penticton’s OSNS benefits from $10,000 RBC grant

The OSNS Child and Youth Development Centre will use the money for tech upgrades

Penticton Vees lose a squeaker in Salmon Arm

The Penticton Vees got off to a rousing start but in the end fell 4-3 to Salmon Arm

Penticton woman sends fight to reduce preventable medical errors to Victoria

Teri McGrath and senior’s centre members presented 150-plus signature petition to local MLA

Summerland winery hosts workshop on agriculture sustainability

Okanagan Crush Pad hosts the workshop On-Farm Sustainable Practices and Knowledge-Sharing

Gym enthusiasts invited to get in gear for kids

Spin4Kids Saturday at GoodLife Fitness

BC Liquor Stores to move fully to paper bags by March

Vancouver Island to be the first to convert to paper bags in November

SilverStar to open Nordic trails Saturday in North Okanagan

25 km of groomed trails are ready to explore by cross-country skiers

Salmon Arm businesses tipped off to Black Press advantage

Black Press Media hosts day of presentations to local business representatives

Tolko shuts B.C. divisions for two weeks over holidays

Head office to close from Dec. 23-27; two weeks’ downtime runs Dec. 21-Jan. 6

B.C. government working with RCMP to address $10 million in budget cuts

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth issues statement following report of RCMP cost-cutting

Port Moody mayor says stayed sex assault charge related to ‘awkward date’

Rob Vagramov said charge was related to a string of dates in 2015

UBC conference draws fire over speaker from Chinese tech company blacklisted in U.S.

The company that has been blacklisted by the U.S. over links to the repression of China’s Muslim minority

‘City that protects rapists’: Sexual assault survivor slams Kelowna mayor for defending RCMP

Heather Friesen spent the morning handing out flyers around city hall calling out the mayor

Most Read