New trial ordered for Armstrong man

Long-term offender convicted of sexual assault and uttering threats wins appeal

A judge and jury will hear a new trial for an Armstrong man who successfully appealed his May 2015 conviction.

Joseph Vance Caron, born in 1969, was convicted for sexual assault, choking and uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm in connection with an incident in Armstrong in May 2014. He was sentenced in 2015 to six years and three months in jail and declared a long-term offender.

Caron cited three grounds for his appeal; two were thrown out by a trio of Court of Appeal judges, but the judges agreed unanimously that the third ground — that the sentencing judge misapprehended the evidence in his assessment of Caron’s credibility — had been met.

“The appellant was entitled to have his credibility evaluated in a manner untainted by misapprehensions of the evidence going to the heart of the judge’s reasoning process,” wrote Justice Gregory Fitch in his reason for granting the new trial.

“In my view, that did not occur in this case. As a consequence, a new trial is required.”

Caron requested the new trial be composed of a judge and a jury.

No date for the new trial has been set.

Comments are closed

Just Posted

No end in sight, smoke is here to stay

There is no anticipated change in weather for the Okanagan-Shuswap this week

Animal rights activists to protest Kelowna’s RibFest launch

Animal rights activists plan on sinking their teeth into an annual event they say is unethical and unhealthy.

Private school in Summerland anticipates 50 students in its first year

Unisus International School will follow International Baccalaureate program

Summerland music promoter up for CCMA award

Paul Biro has worked in music industry for more than 25 years

Summerland receives grant for climate action initiative

Money from the Federation of Canadian Municipalities and the federal government

No growth on the Monashee Complex wildfires

Mabel Creek, Sugar Mountain and Harris Creek fires continue to burn near Lumby and Cherryville

Shuswap city’s panhandling bylaw put on hold after public hearing

Council allows time to pursue more compassionate solutions

B.C. not prepared for a Humboldt Broncos bus crash, group says

An air ambulance advocacy group wants an overhaul of B.C.’s emergency medical system in rural regions

UPDATE: Three new fires sparked in the South Okanagan- Similkameen

BC Wildfire Service is responding to a blaze off Olalla forest service road

Liberals look at creating federal holiday to mark legacy of residential schools

AFN National Chief Perry Bellegarde said day to recognize painful legacy would boost understanding

Mounties deployed to help B.C. communities affected by wildfires

RCMP officers heading to places particularly within central, northern and southern B.C.

Crews are working to contain the wildfire north of Okanagan Connector

Update: Aug. 15 Crews will continue to mop up and extend hose… Continue reading

Interim GoFundMe payments approved in Humboldt Broncos crash

$50,000 to be given to each of the 13 survivors and each family of the 16 people who died

B.C. gangster charged after man allegedly beaten with a golf club

Langley man facing aggravated assault charge after incident allegedly involved golf club and machete

Most Read