A Vernon family likely won’t be able to return home after a fire broke out Wednesday.
A fire was sparked in a Cardinal Road home (near Swan Lake) around 4 p.m. The owners were out at the time and came home to see smoke coming from a window and called 9-1-1.
“We couldn’t see anything but smoke. No idea what happened,” said Jane Lord.
Vernon Fire Rescue crews were able to quickly douse the blaze. Three cats living at the home all escaped unharmed.
The owner is unsure how the fire started but thinks it may have ignited in the bedroom.
“I haven’t cooked anything today. We went straight out this morning,” said Lord, who has lived in the home for 22 years and this is the first time she said there’s been a fire in the area.
“I called them once but it was just a moth that had hit the light so that was kind of stupid.”