It’s believed an electrical short was the cause of a fire that did extensive damage to a home near Oliver on Dec. 30.
Chief Bob Graham of the Oliver Fire Department said the rear of the building was fully involved when fire crews arrived on the scene shortly after 3 p.m.
The house is located on Nk’mip Vineyard Road near Tucelnuit Drive, just northeast of the town.
“It progressed into the attic and did extensive damage to the attic as well,” said Graham. “There was no one home at the time. They (the residents) did come home shortly afterwards. There was a dog inside and we rescued it. It was fine.”
About 20 firefighters attended and spent about two hours putting out the fire that was believed to have been reported by a neighbour.
There was a person staying in a trailer near the house however there was no damage to it or injuries to the individual.