A Summerland man’s sex assault and assault charges were upgraded in Penticton’s courthouse yesterday in a case involving forcible confinement. (Dustin Godfrey/Western News)

Charges upgraded in Penticton forcible confinement, sex assault

Sex assault and simple assault have been upgraded to include more severe cause bodily harm

Charges against a 23-year-old Summerland man have been upgraded the case of forcible confinement, sexual assault and assault to include more serious counts on the matter.

Aaron Motz was arrested on Jan. 29 after a 22-year-old woman called Penticton RCMP the previous day to say she was forcibly confined the evening of Jan. 27 at a private residence.

Motz made an appearance in court Wednesday morning, intended as a bail hearing, but was instead confronted with a stay of proceedings on the initial charges and a slew of new counts.

Related: Man arrested and charged with forcible confinement and sexual assault

At the time of his arrest, police involved neighbouring local detachments in the search for the suspect, and Motz was arrested a short time later in Osoyoos.

“The man was arrested without incident. This was not a random incident, as the accused and victim knew each other,” police said.

Motz was initially charged with simple assault, sex assault, forcible confinement and uttering threats. Now, he’s facing the same charges, but with assault and sex assault both upgraded to include causing bodily harm.

Motz’ lawyer James Pennington asked that the matter be put down to next week to fix a date for a new bail hearing.

It isn’t clear what gave rise to the new charges — Cpl. Dan Moskaluk with the RCMP said he could not provide details, and Crown communications did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Motz, who appeared in the Penticton courthouse by video from Okanagan Correctional Centre, also intended to enter a guilty plea on a separate assault file from Oct. 4 last year, but that was put over with the rest of the charges.

Report a typo or send us your tips, photos and video.

Dustin Godfrey | Reporter

@dustinrgodfrey

Send Dustin an email.
Like the Western News on Facebook.
Follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

RDOS: threat of flooding is not over yet

Flooding protection in South Okanagan-Similkameen must remain in place

Talking music at Penticton’s Dream Café

Listen Up! to Holger Petersen

TRUE explores Penticton tourism offerings

Event showcases local experiences for tourism week

A good day for a grind

Summerland’s Giant’s Head Grind now in fifth year

VIDEO: After the floods, comes the cleanup as Grand Forks rebuilds

Business owners in downtown wonder how long it will take for things to go back to normal

Transportation Minister disappointed by BC Ferries plan to remove fuel rebates

Claire Trevena says she is ‘extremely disappointed’ by a plan by BC Ferries to remove fuel rebates

B.C. sues Alberta over bill that could ‘turn oil taps off’

Lawsuit is the latest move in the two provinces’ ongoing feud over the Kinder Morgan pipeline

Liberal government introduces measures to update Canada’s family laws

Justice officials say there have not been substantial updates to federal family laws in 20 years

B.C. mom threatens legal action against sunscreen company

Caleb Jordan, 6, was covered in blisters 20 minutes after using Banana Boat sunscreen

BC Games Society president to step down

Kelly Mann says it’s time for a change after 26 years with the society

B.C. politicians framed by anonymous sticky-note doodler

Insider has been posting caricatures from the B.C. legislature to social media

27 years since initial police probe, polygamist leader to be sentenced in June

Prosecutor recommend up to 6 months jail, defence asks for conditional or absolute discharge

Governments kick in cash for B.C. farmers, food processors

Ottawa, Victoria contribute $14 million over five years to help develop new products, processes

Most Read