The fast moving fire that erupted on Oliver Mountain close to the high school was caused by sparks from a power pole being worked on Monday.
According to Oliver Fire Department’s Rob Graham, a Fortis crew was working on a pole at a construction site. A couple of wires arced and caused some sparks to ignite some grasses on fire.
The fire that started around 12:30 p.m. quickly spread up the mountain. Within two hours, the fire grew from one to 4.5 hectares, according to the BC Wildfire Service.
Luckily, by 3:45 p.m., BCWS said the fire was held because of the quick actions of firefighters on the ground and helicopters in the air bucketing water on it.
To report a typo, email: email@example.com.<>
Don’t miss a single story and get them delivered directly to your inbox. Sign up today for the Penticton Western News Newsletter.
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.