Summerland’s Heritage Commission has launched a $10,000 fundraising campaign to restore two stone road markers that have welcomed residents and visitors to Summerland for more than 70 years.
Erected in 1939, the markers originally featured two attractive apple-shaped signs on each side: one reading Welcome to Summerland, and the other reading Good Luck.
At the southern entrance to Summerland, one marker sits well below road level on the east side of Highway 97 in Trout Creek, about 100 metres north of the bridge. It became barely visible to motorists after the highway was upgraded in 1990. The other marker is located on Bentley Road, which at one time served as the old highway and the northern entrance.
“The marker in Trout Creek needs repairs before it can be moved to its new location at the tourist pullout on the highway, approximately one kilometre to the north,” said commission chair David Gregory. “New foundations will be required, and we will also need new signs to replace the originals that are in poor shape. We hope to have that work done locally.”
Cheques can be made payable to the Summerland Museum and Heritage Society and sent to the museum. Tax receipts will be issued for donations $25 and more.
The Municipality of Summerland will not contribute funds, but will administer contracts to carry out the work, liaise with the province to secure space at the pullout, and supervise installation.
The markers were originally erected through the generosity of J. H. McDonald, a lumber executive from New Westminster who fell in love with the community on his family’s visits to Summerland.