William Conkle was one of Summerland’s first pioneers, arriving from the United States in 1887.
His large cattle ranch, which comprised all of Prairie Valley, was purchased by George Barclay in 1891.
Three local land features were named after Conkle: Conkle Mountain, Conkle Mountain Park and Little Conkle Mountain.
He later moved to Rock Creek, where his name has been honoured at Conkle Lake, Conkle Creek and Conkle Provincial Park.
Despite many years of research, no photograph of Conkle has been found.
Annually the Summerland Museum hires summer students to assist with research.
Applications are being accepted until April 30.